Nourishing the mind, body, and soul along the vegan highway.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tofu Fish Sticks, Coleslaw with Pinenuts

I feel accomplished! I feel thrilled! Yeepee! I make scrambled tofu all the time. I make cookies and muffins with tofu all the time, but never, and I mean never, have I been so adventurous to make baked, broiled, grilled, or fried tofu. I had put TOFU FISH STICKS, from Jen's cookbook, Vegan Lunch Box, on this weeks menu, but had not yet built up the courage to really make them. Granted I do eat tofu cooked by others, but was nervous about cooking it myself. While blogging I found Made in Alaska's blog. Her blog was my inspiration. Thanks Alaska! She gave me the courage and directed me to another recipe for a tofu fish marinade to try. Well tonight was the big night. Though determined, in my mind I was thinking, "Will the family eat it?" "What will I do if they won't?" and finally "Who cares!" I am making TOFU FISH STICKS! I had the time of my life doing 2 recipes at the same time. Jen's recipe, which you can find here : http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/2006/01/tofu-fish-sticks.html and the other one I adapted from the Tofu Fish Sandwich recipe in, Cookin' Southern Vegetarian Style. . Both were a big hit, but the marinaded ones were the favorite. Needless to say I made ten good size pieces and only 2 are left. BB, our daughter, loved them. DH tasted them and said her prefered the marinated ones. Me, I ate 5 of them, which included both kinds. What can I say they were so good! The light ones are from Jen's recipe. I also made coleslaw, which looks very bland without carrots, next to spud puppies, and yellow squash. I do like Jen's breading better, but the marinade gives them a delicious taste. Next time I will join the two together. YUMO!

As far as weight watcher points Jen's recipe is 1 point per ounce of tofu fish stick. The other is 2 points per ounce.

Here is the recipe for my adapted version of Tofu Fish Sticks

Marinated Tofu Fish Sticks
Adapted from Cookin' Southern Vegetarian Style

Marinade
8 oz of firm tofu
1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
2 teaspoons of kelp granules
1 teaspoon of dry mustard
1 teaspoon of granulated garlic
1/4 cup canola oil

Mix all the ingredients together. Slice your tofu into pieces around 1/2 an inch thick. Place them in the marinade cover and refridgerate for at least 2 hours.

Preheat the over to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (Don't you just love this stuff) and lightly mist with olive oil. Place the cornmeal on a plate. Take the tofu slices out of the marinade and place in the cornmeal one at a time. Once well coated place on them on the cookie sheet so they are not touching. Bake for 15 minutes, turn and bake 15 more or until they are crispy. Mine did not want to crisp quickly enough so I turned on the broiler and watched them carefully for about 2 -3 min. Enjoy!

Weight Watcher points 2 per ounce.

(OPPTIONAL) Next time we make these, which my daughter says will be often, I will use this marinade and Jen's breading (it is to die for).

Coleslaw with Pinenuts

2 T. soy creamer

2 T. vegan mayonnise

2 t. sugar

1/2 t apple cider vinegar

Mix together until well blended.

Slaw Ingredients:

3 cups shredded cabbage,

1 carrot grated,

1 apple pealed and grated

roasted pinenuts

Add to the sauce, mix well, refridgerate for a couple hours before eating so the flavors can meld.

1 comment:

madeinalaska said...

Don't you LOVE the blogosphere?

I must say, I write my blog and realy wonder if anybody but, the usual commenter's are really reading it.. So, I always feel quite a rock star when others are!

I love that you tried both recipes and agree that maybe they should be combined!
I can totally relate to the whole "will they eat it?"! my kids snubbed tofu for sooooo long! try try again!
take care,
Julee