Nourishing the mind, body, and soul along the vegan highway.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Curry Vegetables, No knead bread, Blueberry scones, White Bean Stew, Apple Swirl Bread, and Crispi Squares

First I want to thank everyone for their kind words while I have been down in the dumps. Not working on my blog made me feel even worse since people were coming to visit and I was invisible. Yeah, I know it is sweetheart day, but DH is at school, DD is with her sweetheart, so I am home alone with the perfect opportunity to update my blog. Here are some pics of what I
cooked over the weekend.

Curried vegetables with couscous
I steamed up some potatoes, broccoli, and green peas. Added some garbanzo beans, curry powder, garlic, salt and pepper and a little H20 to keep is moist. I cooked up some couscous too. When everything was done we poured it over the couscous and dinner is served. DD said it was pretty spicy, but loved the couscous. DH was not thrilled due to the fact that cooked broccoli was in it. He is a cooked veggie hater. Loves them raw, tolerates cooked corn, peas, green beans, and spinach, but that's about it. At least he eats them raw. Anyway I have eaten this for 4 days now and love it. You gotta love leftovers.

Here is a recipe that I got from Bryanna's blog. (Sunday, January 28, 2007)http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/ I was so excited. "NO KNEAD" BREAD! I figured I would follow the recipe to a "T" then if it turned out start tweaking it. This is a picture of the dough after 15 hours of sitting in my oven over night. Looks cool with all the bubbles. That means my yeast it good!


Here the bread dough is after the first fold.

After the fold and getting ready to rise and go into the oven.

( I followed Bryanna's suggestion to use wheat bran)

Here is the final product. The recipe says to bake it in a 6-8 quart cast iron, enamel, or Pyrex pan. WOW!, the biggest pan I have is a glass Pyrex dish that is about 2 quarts. Problem? NOPE, use two smaller pans and here you have it, NO KNEAD BREAD.

Here is it cut. You can see all the tiny holes looks good huh?

Boy, I thought so, as you can see below. This was my lunch. Squash, roasted tomatoes on my newly baked bread and grapefruit supremes. It only took one bite. YUCK! The crust is fabulous. The inside of the bread feels like the fake food you buy your children to play kitchen with. I don't understand how something that looks this good can be sent to the round file so fast.

On to something yummy. These are Jen's Blueberry Lemon Mini-Scones from her book, Vegan Lunch Box. http://veganlunchbox.com/ I did a bit of tweaking with the recipe. I made them with all whole wheat pastry flour, skipped the lemon zest (DD not crazy about lemon) and cut the recipe in half. They turned out good. I think next time I will shorten the baking time a couple minutes. They seemed a bit dry. All and all I will make them again. Next time DD will have to put up with lemon because I love it. 2 Pt's per serving on WW

Before cooking

Fresh out of the oven!


More soup. This is Susan's White Bean Stew, http://www.fatfreevegan.com/beans/white_bean_stew.shtml

I left out the lemon juice and used homemade white beans instead of canned. Fantastic soup. Like Susan says, DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE AMOUNT OF GARLIC. I used one whole bulb, 14 cloves and it tasted perfect. I made some 9 grain pita chips to go along with it.

3Pt's per cup on WW



Apple Swirl Loaf from Dreena's book, The Everyday Vegan.

I feel bad because someone recommended this recipe to me and I can't remember who. So who ever it was my DH thanks you, DD thanks you, and I thank you. Of course we thank Dreena too!This bread is awesome. No words to describe how moist and flavorful this bread it. And get this, only 1T. of canola oil. I followed the recipe to the "T" This is definitely a keeper.


OK everyone, last but not least, by any stretch of the imagination are Dreena's Crispi Squares from Vive La Vegan. Yep, you guessed it I finally got my book. Yeepee! Now for the funny part. I had bought organic Crispy Brown Rice cereal by Erewhon just for these squares. I had also bought organic puffed rice for another recipe, which I have now misplaced. Guess which one I ended up using? Yep, you guessed right. Puffed rice. My DH cracked up, but said, "I was expecting rice crispy squares, but these are really good!" They are very tasty, but they stay soft. Not too soft to hold their shape or for little hands to hold them while eating them so no worries. I followed the recipe except I added toasted walnuts instead of almonds. I love that these are made with maple syrup. Great flavor, great recipe! Oh and thanks to this recipe I am not addicted to Hemp seeds. they have a wonderful nutty taste.

16 servings = 3Pt's on ww

Close up shot. See the little puffs? hahahahaha I feel like such a dork.

9 comments:

MeloMeals said...

Everything looks great! I love that you listed WW points..

What a shame about that bread! It looks fabulous.. I read that recipe.. but thought it was more involved than making a simple loaf.. which I can do so fast.. probably because I do it often.

I love to rise the bread in the fridge for a day or so.. that makes the loaves so light and good.

MeloMeals said...

Everything looks great! I love that you listed WW points..

What a shame about that bread! It looks fabulous.. I read that recipe.. but thought it was more involved than making a simple loaf.. which I can do so fast.. probably because I do it often.

I love to rise the bread in the fridge for a day or so.. that makes the loaves so light and good.

aTxVegn said...

Sorry you didn't like the bread, esp. after all that time and effort. The white bean soup sounds really good.

Thanks to this post, I made Apple Swirl Bread today. It is so good and moist. Thanks for the heads up!

Sheree' said...

Melody - Thanks for stopping by. I would love a recipe where the bread rises in the fridge.

Atxvegn - The crust on the bread was awesome, but the insides were just so tasteless and rubbery. Yuck. I am glad you enjoyed the apple swirl bread.

Just call me Orangie said...

Everything looks so yummy! sorry about your bread though :( I've done that before too...many times (I'm a celiac so I'm always trying to make new recipes to make my own bread)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I've been wanting to try the no-knead bread. Thanks for the review. Everything looks great -- the scones look fabulous. I just recently got Jennifer's book so I'm going to have to check out the recipe.

urban vegan said...

what a cornucopia of vegan yumminess.

KleoPatra said...

Wow, absolutely everything you made looks incredibly edibly delicious!!!

I'm big on bread (so's my doggie) and i wish i had a piece of yours right now to go with the minestrone soup i'm supping on.

Nice blog, too. I'm a first-time visitor here...

Sheree' said...

Just call me Orangie- Thanks for stopping by. I will be checking your site and try some of your breads. I love homemade bread!

Midwestvegan - Nice to meet you. I love Jen's book.

Urbanvegan - Thank you!

Kleopatra- Hi, I love bread too! My DH says it is my down fall. I tell him, "NOPE, not as long as it is the whole grain yumminess! Glad you stopped by.