Nourishing the mind, body, and soul along the vegan highway.

Monday, March 24, 2008

The long awaited post and some good food

I am back! Really I wasn't gone to far, but as my mom would say, "I am busier than a one handed paper hanger." :o) As most of you know we are expecting our first grand baby and the kids needed to find a larger place to live before the baby came. Brandie is in her 28th week and moving was not easy. She has a very sweet husband who did his best to make her comfortable, but Brandie is very independent and wanted so badly to help. This is where mom and dad stepped in. We were helping paint, clean, and doing some slight construction on their new house they rented for the past week. Usually we spent about 10 to 12 hours a day helping and they finally got to move this past weekend. It will take time to get all settled, but at least they are in. They rented a big 3 bedroom home. It is really nice and the rent is good for the area. I am sure Brandie will post pics on her blog once she has Internet so I will let her surprise everyone.

Also, DH and I celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary. I told DH we will never forget this one as we painted the kids kitchen and ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. :o) No worries, being together is what really counts. Brandie and Micah had flowers delivered to me at work last Monday (yes we were married on St. Patricks Day). They came and I teared up, but when I read the card below I sobbed. What do you expect from a first time grandma. Look at what the card says, Grand baby! I totally agree that I am a sap, I can't deny it.


My flowers are a week old and they still look perfect. I just love them and the vase!
Thank you kids and grand baby!

Everyone remember our new addition to the family, Abby? Lets just say her and Kellie are getting along splendidly. We just love her. :o)

They cuddle all the time and Kellie tries to be the momma. Always cleaning and taking care of Abby. Look how big Abby has gotten! She is 8 months old and she weighs 12 lbs and is sleek and long like a black panther.


Spring is in the air and DH and I started planting the garden a month or so ago. Sorry everyone if you are still under snow, but here in San Diego our weather is almost summer like. Here is our first radishes of the season. They are so sweet!



For those of you who remember our garden from last year can see how DH expanded it this year. You can see our 3 types of lettuce and spinach in this picture. Along the bottom you can't see (cuz my camera died) we have dwarf sweet peas that are almost ready to begin climbing the fence. :o)




Who love Brussels sprouts? We do! I have to be careful or Brandie will take the lot. No not really, but she loves them as much as I do. As you can see I made sure to plant enough for both of us. DH and her hubby don't like them. Yeepee, more for us!! 9 plants in all.



Yes, peanut butter and jelly have been a mainstay while helping the kids, but I did have time on Easter Sunday to make some Cream of Broccoli Soup. I got the recipe from Vegan Dad. He has a great site, check it out. I did add some of BRYANNA'S HOMEMADE VEGAN "CHICKEN-STYLE" BROTH POWDER and some extra garlic, but other wise kept the recipe the same. I think next time I will cook the veggies in "no chicken broth" for extra flavor. No CREAM here and it is velvety smooth. A quick spin in the blender and there you go! Thanks, VEGAN DAD!




One dad I did get a decent breakfast. Tofu scramble burritos, pink grapefruit and a bit of hashbrowns. I just love tofu scramble. This version has spinach, tomatoes, zucchini, garlic, bell pepper (red and green) and BRYANNA'S DELICIOUS HOMEMADE TOFU SCRAMBLER MIX , which I always have on hand.




Here is a favorite of Brandie's. Bryanna's Chicken Cutlets from the Everyday Dish DVD. Simple wrap of seitan chicken patties, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, and a tiny bit of vegan mayo.

That's all for now folks. Thanks for stopping by and reading this very long post!
Hugs to all!!!

13 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

Happy Anniversary!! The flowers are so beautiful,and I especially love the vase. How exciting that Brandie and Micah moved into a new place... I'll definitely look for pics on her blog soon.
Your garden look great! Are radishes hard to grow? More importantly, do they need lots of space? I am anxious to get out of our townhome in the next few years and get a place with a yard so we can have a big veggie garden. Looks like you've been eating well!

Good to hear from you :-)

Debbie Ann said...

Well, happy belated anniversary. Staying married for that amount of years says a lot about a couple, especially these days. :)
Your flowers are very pretty & that vase is wonderful. You'll be able to use that over & over again, and not just for flowers, I would imagine.

I'm so envious of your radishes. We're not under snow, but it's way too cold for planting anything outside. However, I do have some tomatoes starting. I can just tast'em now. There's little in this world that's better than fresh fruits and veggies from the home garden! :)

Billy said...

I'm glad you liked my recipe for veganized Mrs Fields cookies. Let me know how they turn out if/when you make them.

julie hasson said...

Happy Anniversary! Wow, 31 years is a awesome anniversary to celebrate. Jay and I will be celebrating 19 this year.

Your cats are adorable, and everything looks delish!

Julie

Rural Vegan said...

Happy anniversary! I am so jealous that your garden is already in full swing and that you're already harvesting radishes! You are going to have LOTS of brussels sprouts, but they are so much fun to grow.

aTxVegn said...

Hi, Sheree! Congratulations on 31 years together - that's just awesome! Sounds like you've been working too hard on your grandbaby's new house and in the garden. I'll be so jealous of all your Brussels! I'm glad you got to destress a little in the kitchen. All the food looks and sounds just delicious!

Unknown said...

hi, sheree! Happy anniversary! It's nice to know that you are a nice couple with true love for lifetime. Best wishes from bottom to my HEART. and your cats pics are too gud......
they are looking so naughty........
:)
Windows Server Monitor
Anti Spam Software

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Sheree!! You're back!! Hooray!! :0D

Happy anniversary; and it's so lovely to see how well you're doing, and how great everything is for you - keep it up! :0)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Such cute kitties.

And I have never been disappointed yet with a Bryanna recipe (*knocks on wood*)

Vegan Dad said...

I can't beleive you have produce already! We just got another inch of snow last night!

Kumquat Peekapoo said...

I'm so jealous of you with your garden and brussel sprouts! And what handsome kitties you have!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

And soon you will have a grandbaby to buy Easter presents for!!!

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

happiest belated anniversary! the flowers are gorgeous!

i'm so jealous of your garden....brussel sprouts, YUM!