Nourishing the mind, body, and soul along the vegan highway.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Traditions, where would we be without them?

Like many of you in blogging land, I too grew up eating black eyed peas on New Years Day. My mom always made them with a ham hock, which was always disgusting to me, therefor creating in me bad memories. Going vegan has given me a great love for these one eyed beauties. This year hubby said can we have corn bread too? Well, I came up with the great idea to have black eyed pea tacos. Hey we still get the peas and the corn. :o) It seems to me that I saw a similar combination, black beans and butternut squash, on one of my blogging buddies post, but can't remember who. Anyway to who ever it was, Thank you!!!!


This years creation was so good. I called Brandie to let her know what I was having and she too said that sounds so good! They may be simple, but after the busy Christmas time, simple was just what the doctor ordered.



Corn tortillas heated in a dry skillet and filled with black eyed peas, baked butternut squash, tomatoes, and avocado. Mouth watering good!

May your black eyed peas bring you great wealth this year!

13 comments:

Amy said...

I've never had black eyed beans before. They look great done like this!

Sindy said...

I too have been black eyed pea- deprived! I think I'll start this tradition myself- looks like fun!

Anonymous said...

Yes, simple is good! Especially if it looks nice. These tacos sound great.

carrie said...

Anything is good in a taco....right?

aredcardigan said...

huunnngry!!! hehe

looks real good Sheree!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

FABULOUS!!

River said...

Wish I'd thought of that :) Excellent idea - and it looks so good. Nice touch with the avocado too! Thanks a mil!!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Awesome tacos, Sheree! I think I'm the only person that didn't have black eyed peas on New Years Day. Did I jinx myself? :)

MeloMeals said...

I'll bet those were delicious!

aTxVegn said...

It's so pretty! We had blackeyed peas too.

Anonymous said...

Hi,I'm just surfing. My grand used to always fix black-eyed peas. I loved them! Thanks for posting this. I will try it.

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Great photo too! We ended up at Whole Foods on New Years day and we had some black-eyed pea soup. But I'd take tacos over soup any day.

Love your advice about not getting discouraged. I've been working on that too. When I first went vegan I'd get so bummed when I realized I accidentally ate something or bought something that wasn't vegan. Now I just remind myself to do a better job checking next time.

Bethany said...

I've never heard of black eyed peas on new years day. interesting.

they look good in a taco. I love tacos w/ beans.