Nourishing the mind, body, and soul along the vegan highway.

Monday, November 1, 2010

The First Day of the 2010 Vegan MOFO! Breakfast of Champions

     The count down has ended and take off is in the process, Vegan Mofo of 2010 has officially arrived. I see no better way to begin than with a breakfast of Champions! Fall is in the air, and cool mornings have arrived, which means bowls of cool fresh fruit from the summer are going away and warm bowls of porridge arrive. Today I begin my day with warm oatmeal, topped with mouthwatering blueberries, a few chopped almonds, and a touch of sweetness, brown sugar for me. I prefer to eat all my porridge without any type grain or nut milk. I just love the texture and taste of my grains without it. .  


     
Just one cup of this delicious grain gives us 5.55 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber, 187 mg of calcium, 13.95 mg of iron, 61 mg of magnesium, and 143 mg of potassium! And it is heart healthy and very low in fat. Topped with blueberries and almonds you  increase your nutrition even more. Just think, you are eating a very tasty breakfast that is healthy for both humans and animals. Can you think of a better way to fill your mind, body, and soul with happiness?  


What is your favorite breakfast?

6 comments:

River said...

Happy MoFo! I'm afraid my breakfast is not quite as nutritious as yours. Mine consists of coffee and toast... but at least it's whole wheat/flax bread! :D

Not A Rabbit said...

Happy MoFo, Sheree! :)

I have to confess that my breakfasts are not nearly as healthy as yours! (and not nearly as wholegrain as River's!).

I love the smell of porridge, and I love the idea of porridge (mmmm, warm and comforting) but I can't get past the texture! :(

omgoshimvegan said...

Your porridge looks great. I had been making smoothies for my breakfast ( a banana, walnuts, frozen berries, and almond milk) but I was missing my oatmeal. This morning I made a batch of steel cut oatmeal and it was great with just a little maple syrup on it.

Anonymous said...

Happy Vegan MoFo!

Nice looking brekkie! At first glance, I thought you had chocolate covered raisins atop your oats! hehehe Bluebs are just as good though... ;o)

Mine would resemble River's: coffee and toast/bagel.

MeloMeals said...

I've been eating a lot of oatmeal lately...I just love it. I also like leftover soup! Strange but true.

Brandie said...

Oats! Hahahaha.... actually I like a few other grains too, but usually steel cut oats. And no blueberries for me, I like mashed banana or (my new fav) coconut butter mixed in!! Y.U.M.!

Good job gettin into MoFo again mom :)