Nourishing the mind, body, and soul along the vegan highway.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Authentic French Bread from The Flying Vegan

I was dying for some French bread when I came across Michelle's blog, The Flying Vegan. I made it right away and we loved it. I had to get a picture before it was gone. I changed the recipe a bit to increase the nutrition value and with fingers crossed I hoped it would work. I am happy to say that it was a great success. I was a little worried when I started making it since all I had to bake in was a toaster over. DH had taken over the kitchen with his film developing, which left me with the end of the counter the kitchen table. With the toaster oven on the end of the counter and bread machine on the kitchen table the French Bread came to life. The recipe says to make slashes across the top of the loaf before letting it rise. My slashes were not deep enough since they pretty much disappeared during the rising. Next time I will have my whole kitchen and oven so I can try my hand at baguettes. My toaster oven barely held the semi-round loaf this time. Below I posted the recipe with the change I made. Bon Appetito!

Authentic French Bread
Adapted from The Flying Vegan
(Bread Machine Magic)
Makes a 1 1/2 pound loaf
1 Cup of water
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups of whole wheat bread flour
1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour
2 1/2 tsp of yeast
Add all the ingredients to your breadmaker pan and set on the dough cycle. When the cycle ends remove and form into the shape you desire.
Place dough on cookie sheet ( I always use parchment paper) sprinkled with cornmeal. Make your slash marks on the top of the loaf. Cover and let rise until double. (about 30-40 min) Bake in a 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes.


Make sure to check out Michelle's post for the original recipe, which has more great ideas for this fantastic bread. http://theflyingvegan.blogspot.com/
THANKS MICHELLE!

8 comments:

Jackie said...

Sounds great. We don't have pastry flour here. How is it different from normal cake or bread flour ?

Sheree' said...

jackie - Thanks for stopping by. Whole wheat pastry flour is just wheat flour that is ground very fine. If you can grind your own that would work wonderfully. Michelle's mom used all bread flour. I would not substitute cake flour for bread flour. Everything I have heard was never substitute cake flour for bread flour. Hope this helps.

aTxVegn said...

That's almost the exact recipe I use from La Dolce Vegan. It's so easy and always turns out. Yours looks perfect!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Yum! Looks good.....

(Oh wait - I can't bake to save my life...)

Seriously, I just ran nto your blog and decided I'd bookmark it for future reference. It looks GOOD!
(And ya know? No offense to all the fresh, young bloggers and ideas, but it's nice to see someone on here who's over 30 :)

~~Tofu Mom

KleoPatra said...

S'il vous plait, i do love this bread! GREAT STUFF! I can almost smell it... Thanks for sharing what you did making this!

scottishvegan said...

That looks so delicious! And sounds pretty healthy too...

madeinalaska said...

That just might have to be on the menu tomarrow!!

Anonymous said...

looks good!