Nourishing the mind, body, and soul along the vegan highway.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Nectarine Upside-Down Cake

Susan at Fat free vegan is such an awesome cook and photographer. She made the most amazing Peach Upside Down Cake. I had an overload of nectarines that needed to be used so made her recipe substituting the peaches with nectarines. I learned the following. You must use a 9 inch skillet. You must seal all fruit with the cake mix and you must laugh at your not so eye pleasing results and just enjoy the awesome flavor.

I only had an 8 inch iron skillet, but was afraid it would not be deep enough so I switched to my 8 inch iron skillet dutch oven. Wrong! My dutch oven is tapered so the bottom is not 8 inches. It is a bit smaller. Therefore my filling was too deep for the amount of cake mix. The cake came nicely out of the pan, but the amount of juice went pouring over the sides of the plate and the cake seemed more like a dumpling than "cake".

Even with all my minor problems this cake is wonderful. I followed the recipe exactly except for the sub of nectarines for peaches. The flavors and sweetness were perfect. Next time I will make sure to use a 9 inch skillet ( I think I just thought of a wonderful birthday present, which is only a week away), and try and be a little more fancy like Vegan Yum Yum . I know the taste is the same, but oh so cool looking.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, i will love a slice!

Rose said...

Mmmm that cake looks really good!

Thanks so much for the website, I really appreciate it :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

oooh, I love your rendition of Susan's upside-down cake!! nectarines are so juicy and flavorful; I can only imagine how delicious they are in this cake.

I read your comment on my blog - the only Field Roast® product that is available in my area is the Celebration Roast, so I always stock up on it; I'd love to be able to try their "sausages" as well, but unfortunately they're not sold near me - yet!

aTxVegn said...

I think it looks great! All your pies lately look really terrific. I've got lots of nectarines in my fridge right now!

Rose said...

I'm happy to hear I made you smile :) The recipe for sweetened condensed soymilk I used was the first one.

KleoPatra said...

SHEREE'!! Looks soooooooooooo good. Way to go. i knew i smelled somethin' good comin' up MG Road... Hope you are staying cool. We're gettin' it bad here for a change. Hugs to you and your family, two AND four leggeds both. Hope to see you soon!!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Hi sheree! Your nectarine cakes looks yummy! To answer to question about the favors, we are using the endangered species dark chocolates (smaller bars, not the big ones) and putting on a personalized cover. Last night we were embossing pig stamps on each candy bar, since on the back it also reads that in our guests honor, we have adopted a pig at a sanctuary! I plan to post this on my wedding or vegan blog sometime this weekend, I"ll let you know. Can't wait to see how your daughter's wedding will turn out!! I'm sure you're both excited for it to be here... Take care!

Anonymous said...

LOL We had the same idea, to substitute peaches with nectarines.
Thanks for the tips !

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

looks scrumptious!

Kumudha said...

The first picture is mouth-watering!

Rose said...

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I'll definately give Susan's Cheesecake a try next time.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

OK, I could eat that whole thing right about now. Please come to my house and bake for me... My address is 1224 South Wilson Street......

OK. Well, maybe I'll have to make my own.

Monika K said...

Mmmmm...looks delicious!

MeloMeals said...

Looks great!! Nectarines are better than peaches in my opinion!

Judy said...

Well I think it looks delicious!

Peggy said...

Oooh, looks good... I've now decided that I must ABSOLUTELY own a cast-iron skillet!

Anonymous said...

Yum! I'm with Johanna --- I'll have a slice.

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog.