Nourishing the mind, body, and soul along the vegan highway.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Black Bean Chili, Potato Leek Soup, Bread, Veggies, and GOO!

Brandie's dinner of leftover lasagna with veggies. She plated it so nicely she asked if I wanted to post it. I told her of course! So here is her lovely dinner.


I found a great 9 grain bread recipe on Dori's site. http://thebakehouse.blogspot.com/search?q=7+grain+bread Make sure you read the comments. This is where she posted the recipe. It is delicious. I made it yesterday and there is less than 1/3 of the loaf left. It is so good. I used white whole wheat flour, whole wheat bread flour, and substituted millet for the sesame seed.





We served this with our Potato Leek Soup. So good!





I had a couple leeks laying around and figured Potato Leek soup was on the menu. I sauted the celery, onion, garlic, and leeks. Then I added 8 cups of No-Chicken. Once that came to boil I added 6 cups of cubed potatoes. Simmer until the potatoes are fork tender. I added 2 T. of Earth Balance, 1/2 cup of light soy milk, and seasoned it with salt, pepper, and a bit of fresh nutmeg. I garnished the soup with some sliced green onions. It made 13 cups of soup. DH, loved it. He ate 2 cups for dinner. Even with the earth balance it is only 1 point per cup on weight watchers.



I have made this recipe before, but it is so good. This time I used 2 cups of black beans and 1 cup of pinto beans. You can find it at Susan's site http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/01/thick-and-hearty-pinto-bean-chili.html It is amazing chili and really fun to make. I had never used dry chili's before and this recipe teaches you how to use them. The bread is Four Grain Cornbread that I also found on Susan's site. http://www.fatfreevegan.com/breads/four_grain_cornbread.shtml The bread tastes really good, but next time I will put it in a loaf pan instead of forming a round and cooking it on a cookie sheet. After the second rise it had spread out instead of rising up. It has the flavor of english muffin bread. We really enjoye the texture of millet. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.



Tx made some great roasted yellow squash, so I had to give it a try. I sliced some zucchini, yellow squash, onion, and some chopped garlic misted them with olive oil and them cooked them at 375 for about 20-30 min. Sweet as sugar! Check out Tx's site she always has great recipes and ideas. http://eatnvegn.blogspot.com/




Over at Tex's blog she had also made the most wonderful brownies. I figured DH would be in Heaven. So I thought I would give them a try. I have a hard time with too much sugar and white flour and too much fat so I could not leave well enough alone. The recipe called for 1/2 cup Earth Balance ( I used 1/4 cup and 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce), 1/2 cup flour ( I used whole wheat pastry flour), flax eggs ( I used Ener-G egg). They looked beautiful in the pan and DH loved cleaning the bowl (He is such a kid), but when they cooled they were goo! Simply GOO! Never the less DH loved them. I am not sure if my changes killed them or what. Please try the original recipe because they are getting great reviews. Anyway here is the picture of GOO!


4 comments:

scottishvegan said...

Your leek and potato soups looks lovely and creamy…yet it’s only one WW point!? Wow! Both of your breads look delicious! I bet that brownie goo was totally yummy!

Sheree' said...

Scottish - Yes, only one point. I was shocked. The goo has a great flavor, but it is really GOO! :o)

Dori said...

Glad you liked the bread. I haven't made bread in a few months.... now I am hankering some to go along with a nice pot of soup.

aTxVegn said...

Sorry your brownies were goo! It seems like your substitutions are okay, maybe they just needed a little more baking time. And don't you just love the roasted squash?!

Your soups and breads look wonderful! I hadn't noticed the four grain cornbread before. I'll definitely give that a try. I love millet and quinoa in baked bread.

Thanks for the links!