Nourishing the mind, body, and soul along the vegan highway.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Basic White Bean Soup, Multi-grain Bread, Black Bean Burgers

Hi everyone! This is what has been cooking at our home this week. Hope everyone is doing well. I am still in pool therapy and going to the chiropractor everyday. I am having more good days than bad. I even made it all the way through church. I was so happy for that blessing. Sunday night was bad, but worth it to be in church. Hope you all enjoy the foodie photos.

This is just a quick white bean soup that goes delicious with homemade bread. Mothers Hubbard's cupboards were still bare so, I finished cleaning out the fridge and made this soup.
















Basic White Bean Soup
1/2 pound white beans soaked over night
1 onion chopped
2 carrots chopped
1 celery chopped
3 garlic cloves chopped
5 cups "no chicken broth" or veggie broth ( we love "no chicken broth)
salt and pepper to taste

Saute veggies in some broth until onions are transparent. Add your broth and beans. Simmer until beans are tender.


I also made some more bread. We are a big bread eating family. We love Dori's 9 grain bread, but I wondered if I could change it around a bit. I am happy to say it turned out awesome. Thanks, Dori for the base recipe!
















Multi grain Bread ( makes a 2 lb loaf)
1 1/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup whole wheat flour (red or white wheat)
1 cup whole wheat bread flour
1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/2 cup spelt flour
1/3 cup of 6, 7, or 9 grain cereal (I use this kind, we like it)
2 teaspoons sea salt
3 Tablespoons Natural sugar (I use Succant)
1 1/2 teaspoons millet
3 teaspoons flax seed meal
1 Tablespoon of yeast
Add all the ingredients to your bread machine according to the manufactures directions. ( I use the dough cycle and finish baking in the oven, if you are going to use only your bread machine make sure you cook on the whole wheat cycle) Once the dough cycle ends, take out the bread knead a couple times and place in your greased bread pan, cover, and let rise until double. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.

Kate over at Vegan ventures made some awesome black bean burgers. Thank you, Kate! I changed them a bit and they turned out really good. They make quite a big patty and they are only 3 points on Weight Watchers. I made these a week or so ago, but froze them for quick meals.

Here is my version of Kate's New and Improved Black Bean Burgers.


Black Bean Burger
1/4 cup grated onion
1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper ( I used red)
5 garlic cloves finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, cumin, and chili powder ( I used New Mexico Mild)
1 teaspoon dried oregano and dried basil
1 3/4 cups of cooked black beans
2 Tablespoons of "no chicken broth"
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
2 Tablespoons of flax seed meal

Mix all the ingredients in your food processor being careful not to over process so you have some whole beans. Form them into 8 patties. I used a half cup measure and they came out perfect. Cook and enjoy. 1 Pattie = 3 points on Weight Watchers

We pan fried ours and served them with some
steamed broccoli, avocado and tomato salsa, and a quick macaroni salad. The macaroni salad included 4 different kinds of pasta, grape tomatoes, shredded carrots, and a quick dressing made of equal parts: agave nectar, mirin, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper. :o)

10 comments:

scottishvegan said...

I love seeing all the bread you make...nothing beats fresh bread! Yum!

Judy said...

You know, for months now I have been meaning to make my own veggie burgers, black bean or otherwise, and I never get around to it. These ones look fantastic, and only 3 points? I'm in!

aTxVegn said...

I'm glad you tried those black bean burgers. I think I'll try them with oats to stay wheat free. I've really been wanting to put those on the grill. They look huge! Dori's bread turned out fantastic.

KleoPatra said...

Sheree, those burgers look terrific. i love what you did with them, too. Nice bread photo. i might pop by and take a piece (just kidding, but hope to meet you sometime soon!!). Hope all is well... i'm so glad to know you are having more good days than not-so-good days! Sending you good thoughts down Mission Gorge... :o)

Kati said...

Everything looks delicious! Those black bean burgers with the guacamole on top definitely look like something I would try.

You people with your bread machines get me so jealous - perfect loaves every time! I have so much trouble with yeast...

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I never use my breadmaker, but I can imagine the smell of that loaf!
Those black bean burgers sound great!
I am looking for a burger recipe that is solid enought to stand up to the rigours of a burger maker, as a collegue bought one for me!It basically just shapes them nice, while dividing with greaseproof paper! Very Simple, but my recipes are too gooey!

Just call me Orangie said...

Hey Shree, I'm sorry I haven't commented in so long. My computer had a bad virus, and it would shut down my computer everytime I tried to comment.

All your food looks great, and they bread is baking me so wish I wasn't a celiac lol.

Sheree' said...

Judy - Yes only 3 points. Sure beats the high point nasty BEEF burgers!

Tamara said...

I have wanted to make my own burgers for so long and finally bought a food processor so I am giving your recipe a try for dinner tonight. I just patted them out and am about to pan-fry them.

My question is about freezing them - do you freeze them cooked or uncooked and then how do you reheat when you are ready to eat? Seems like it would be easy to dry them out. Thanks!

Isil Simsek said...

Another one who wanted to make her own burgers, thanks for sharing this recipe.I think I'll try them out and let you know.