Nourishing the mind, body, and soul along the vegan highway.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Seitan rules this post!!!

Well, I posted this once and blogger deleted it along with Diann and Judy's sweet comments. Hey guys if you stop by I am sorry your comments are gone. Lets see if I can write something quick and to the point. I know that this looks like real meat, but hey this is a vegan blog. NO MEAT ALLOWED. :o) This is the newest craze. Thanks to Julie and her steamed sausages there is no limit on what you can do vital wheat gluten and spices. Vegan Dad made some awesome spicy sausage and linked over to Isa's blog. Don't forget to check out these two great blogs. This recipe is for Spicy Pinto Bean Sausage. I had canned chili beans so I improvised. I also added the red pepper flakes, that Vegan dad left out for his boys. They are spicy and delish. No omni would believe they are not meat. My DH is on cholesterol meds so I am on a mission to make the perfect seitan for him and get him off of them. He was raised a meat and potatoes man so he really misses meat. Thanks to all of you out there we are coming up with some great substitutes. Thanks to everyone!!


Here is another version, Breakfast sausages, by Vegan Dad. This little yummies are just that! Yummy. The recipe made 25 little sausages. They look like the real thing and taste great. I think next time I will add 1 tsp. of salt to the recipe. DH thought they were great, but I thought they needed a touch of salt. Needless to say they were gone in 3 days. We had homemade waffles and sausages 2 nights in a row. What can I say except YOU GOT TO TRY THEM!!!


So in my first post I was in search of the blogger who turned me on to RFD (REAL FOOD DAILY) and low and behold Diann let me know right away that it was her. I had been waiting to get this cookbook from my library and lost her link. Well, kids this stuff is amazing. It is really simple to make. The hardest part is waiting. It bakes for 2 hours, but it is so worth it. It makes 4 pounds of the most tender seitan I have ever had. Thanks Diann for the great tip and the reminder. Everyone go check out her delicious meal.
This meal a clean out the fridge meal. Leftover mac and cheese adapted from Susan's recipe, ribz from Susan's blog, and our first head of bib lettuce made into little wraps with tomatoes, avocado, and Asian dressing drizzled over the top after the picture was taken. Comfort food!


I leave you with the cutest picture. Look at our kitties. Abby is long, slender, and almost panther looking, but in this picture she looks like one of the Pokemon characters. She was so comfortable that she fell asleep in this position for about 20 minutes.


Hugs and comfort!

12 comments:

MeloMeals said...

Everything looks great!! I loved the steamed sausage.. it's actually the only way I like seitan now.

Ruby Red said...

Wow, you must be annoyed that Blogger deleted your post! Typing out anything and having it deleted is the worst feeling ever. But thanks for your post - you got lots of great little links in there. A lot of people have been posting about Julie's steamed seitan too, but for some reason your post made it really hit home how easy it is to make the stuff.

And waffles and sausages!!! Ahhh, how awesome. I need to stop making waffles for breakfast and start experimenting with savory ones. Yum, yum.

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

Mmmmmm, seitan! i've been craving it so much lately but my hands have been less than cooperative. i think that the more i use them tho the better they get. you've inspired me to get to it and feed my craving. everything looks so comforting and yummy! i can't wait to turn my MIL on to this stuff as i'm staying with her right now.

and i think it would be amazing if you use some of the baby shower ideas. i know that you and brandie and your loved ones are going to have a wonderful time whatever you do!

<3

Kate said...

Everything looks great! I really want to try the sausages.

Vegan Dad said...

So glad you liked the breakfast sausages! My boys scarf them down like it's their last meal.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

wow, talk about seitan overload!! haha. aww, your cats are lovely!!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I think I will be the last person on the planet to try those steamed sausages! Everything looks great!

urban vegan said...

PRaise seitian and cool vegan bloggers who share recipes and photos.

The kits aer just adorable, sitting like that.

Rural Vegan said...

The breakfast sausage looks frighteningly realistic! And the ribs look fabulous, everything does! Go seitan!

Anonymous said...

yum!!!!!!!!

River said...

Seitan rules! And your post reminds me to get back to doing it once again (slacking off :( that's been me!). Your wonderful kitties are inexpressibly beautiful. My tiger tabby boy sends respectful miaows! Love and hugs from me, River.

London Mabel said...

In Vegan With a Vengeance there's a fabulous jerk recipe for seitan. I recommend.