Nourishing the mind, body, and soul along the vegan highway.

Saturday, July 25, 2009

High Raw Week and Feeling Great!

I finally feel good this morning! Even with a stressful week, I somehow feel emotionally, mentally, and physically good. Yes, my back hurts, but it is the inside that feels good! Could it be my high raw week? Below I am only posting 2 days worth of food, but my mom is here on vacation and she was supposed to fly home last Tuesday, but ended up in the ER last Sunday with heart problems and pneumonia. All fingers crossed that she will be able to get out of the hospital today and fly home this coming Tuesday. Scary, very scary! Even DH was scared. We just lost dad and didn't want to loose mom too. Praise the Lord there has been daily improvement and things are looking up.

Also, this week was the last week of my workout class at college. I will miss all the good friends I made. A few of us plan on staying in touch. I am hoping to take a nutrition class with my good friend Jasmine and I am already signed up for the water aerobics class with Heather. Taylor, I hope we can get together even though you are going to be a busy girl at State. Now on to food.

I got myself focused this week to eat a high raw diet and to get some low key detoxing done, I needed to get out of my toxic waste land. I feel as though I met my challenge head on and feel good about it. Everyday was pretty much the same. With work and being at the hospital with mom I only have 2 days worth of pictures. Enjoy!

I am in love with GREEN SMOOTHIES! Breakfast was a combination of spinach,
banana, and a few blueberries.


Lunch was Sun Warrior Raw Rice Protein Drink made with Hemp milk
(gotta get those Omega 3's) and fresh from the garden cherry tomatoes and corn on the cob, which I lightly steamed.




Oh my Gosh! Our CSA included fresh white organic peaches. Peaches are one of the fruits that I will only buy if it is organic. They are at the top of the dirty dozen list and I do not want all that pesticide in my body. Needless to say, I was thrilled when I saw them. Along with an organic apple and some raw almonds my afternoon snack was perfect!


On to dinner! Yes this is my cooked meal. Fresh from the garden we have cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and corn all lightly steamed. CSA also included golden beets, which are the bomb. I roast them in the oven in a covered dish with about 1/4 inch of water. Perfection. Last and certainly not least Julie's Smokey Sausage. Yes, I am still addicted to them. :o) Oh and everything is always better with a small sprinkling of nooch.


Another GREEN SMOOTHIE! Yes, it really is a green smoothie. 2 cups of spinach, about 1/2 cup of cherries, a few strawberries, and a couple blueberries. I did find out that maybe 1/2 cup of cherries was too much. Very cherry smoothie, that turned brown from oxidation by the time I drank it at work. Everyone was, "What the heck are you drinking?"I reassured them that the color did not mean the taste.



Morning snack was another CSA treasure. Organic peach, carrots, and cucumbers. I am in love with fresh organic cucumbers. Try a taste test for yourself. I have found that conventional cucumbers have a slightly bitter taste to them, which I really do not care for. The organic ones are sweet with a hint of a watermelon taste. I know weird sensation, but that is how my taste buds taste them. :o)



Lunch was quick as I was on the run to pick up DH, he is still in his cast, so he can't drive. Another wonderful Sun Warrior Raw Rice Protein Smoothie made from hemp milk and organic strawberries from our CSA. Oh and we can't forget my organic fuji apple! You know what they say: An apple a day keeps the doctors away and I want them far, far, away!

This is a repeat dinner without the nooch. Gotta eat yummy leftovers. This time I did slice my tomatoes in half before cooking them with my zucchini. Does anyone else remember the zucchini and stewed tomatoes in a can? Well, I grew up on that stuff. I am not sure I ever had a fresh zucchini until I was married. My mom still raves about those canned zucchini.
Boy, she needs to try the fresh version!
Question of the day?
What memory do you have of a canned food that you now
make with fresh goodness?

8 comments:

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

EVERYTHING!

My sisters and I were just talking about this recently. Growing up, we had a canned food stash like you wouldn't believe. The only thing I remember eating fresh were fruits, carrots, potatoes, and salads. Everything else was canned. Actually, I didn't eat many veggies growing up. I loathe the smell of canned veg.

Now, the only things I buy canned regularly are beans (although I do use dried)and tomatoes (use fresh as well), and occasionally corn and beets (use fresh for these, too, but like to keep some canned on hand).

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

SO glad that you're doing better, dear Sheree - let's keep it that way!! :-D

Canned food = those Dole fruit cocktails, haha. Love FRESH fruit cocktails now :-)

The Voracious Vegan said...

I hope your mom feels better soon. It is great that you were able to be with her while she went through this, I'm sure that helped her out tremendously.

WOW! What gorgeous meals you have been having! Mmmm green smoothies are so good, aren't they? They wake me up in such a great way.

I love your cooked dinners, they are so bright and beautiful, the healthiness is just overflowing!

Danielle said...

I know I'm new here but it's so nice to see that you're doing better :) And so many lovely fruits and vegetables in this post... it's just beautiful!

Nicole said...

I hope your mom feels better!

Brandie said...

I gotta get onto the green smoothies too... dang peanut butter (on toast!)! It is NOT a safe food. Nope, not one bit.

wheeler's crew said...

I hope your mom is doing better. As for your question, I had mostly fresh or frozen veggies growing up. I do have memories of canned green beans though. I prefer them steamed now.

Brandie said...

Man, I'd LOVE a raw vegan detox diet... My problem is I have to have a food 'nazi' on my back to get it done! God love DH he's NOT the most supportive of detox or healthy eating lol! It's hard 'round here!

YOU GO MOM!!! Rock on girl!